What is an Enterprise Adviser?
Enterprise Advisers are senior business professionals who volunteer in a local school or college to help develop a strategy for delivering effective careers education to young people. As an Enterprise Adviser, you will receive training, tools and research to support you in your role.
Volunteering as an Enterprise Adviser is both challenging and rewarding. The role enables you to use your strategic skills and to build long-lasting connections between your local school or college and businesses in the area. This is a unique opportunity to impact how prepared young people are for the fast-changing world of work.
Enterprise Advisers come from a wealth of different business roles and industry backgrounds, and use their knowledge of the job and skills market in their local area to broaden young people’s understanding of the employment opportunities available to them.
In turn, Enterprise Advisers gain access to local, diverse, entry-level talent for potential future recruitment and can use their business expertise to give back to the community that they are part of.
How much commitment is it?
We hope that you will build a long-lasting relationship with your school or college, and recommend you spend around 8 hours per month for one academic year. Enterprise Advisers can flexibly fit their role around their work commitments. Some of this time will be spent meeting with the senior leadership team at the school or college.
What does the role involve?
As an Enterprise Adviser, you will:
- Support the development of a strategy for careers and employer engagement together with the senior leadership team of your school or college
- Focus efforts on careers activities that are most effective in supporting positive outcomes for young people
- Work towards the goal that each young person gets 4 or more encounters with employers
- Draw on your professional experience to bring expertise of the world of work into your school or college
- Put your professional network to great use by engaging them with your school or college
What support will I get?
Enterprise Advisers get the following support:
- A full-time Enterprise Coordinator who will support you throughout your journey
- An initial induction and regular training
- Invitations to The Careers & Enterprise Company events
- Tools and resources including evidence-based strategies to guide you
How do I get involved?
To become an Enterprise Adviser, register your interest and a representative from your LEP (Local Enterprise Partnership) will be in touch.